8 Best Lung Transplant Hospitals In India
- Suppose you or your loved ones are suffering from any of the debilitating lung diseases, and your doctor has prescribed a lung transplant as the only option. In that case, we offer an expert suggestion on which hospitals can be good for you.
- According to the International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT), around 2000 cases undergo lung transplantation every year. Underlying causes like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD that includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis), idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension or cystic fibrosis often might lead to lung transplant.
- Lung transplant is a procedure done to remove a diseased lung or a particular lobe from the lung to ensure smooth and safe functioning of the organ. The procedure is chosen by doctors only when all other treatment modalities fail. Usually, three types of lung transplants can be performed on the patient- single, bilateral, sequential lung transplant and heart-lung transplant.
But, before lung transplant is even considered, two crucial decisions are made.
1. How long a patient can go without a lung transplant?
2. How long can the patient live after undergoing the lung transplant? Once, the benefits outweigh the risks, lung transplant is advised to the patients.
Lung transplant is a costly procedure and living, or dead donors are used to conduct the transplant of the diseased lung in a patient. The procedure costs approximately 20 to 25 lakhs for either single or double lung transplant in our country. The same amount can go in ICU (intensive care unit), and medicines post-surgery.
So, here we have jotted down some hospitals that can do well to you when it comes to lung transplantation.
1. Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
Lung function tests, CT (computed tomogram) scan, and other general tests often come together for determining the condition of the patient. Before, during and after the surgery, various tests are required to maintain the overall health and wellness of the person.
Test facilities, surgical and post-op care are something that is taken care of in an excellent way in the hospital. You can opt for this hospital if you want to undergo a hassle-free lung transplantation process.
Address: Jain Towers, 16th Floor, 17, Mathew Road, Opera House, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400042
Contact number: 022 30973097
2. Amrita Hospital, Kochi
According to the hospital, more than 80% of patients survive the first year of surgery, and almost 50% survive beyond five years. ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation), blood transfusion, pathology, microbiology and other services like radiology and intensive care services are immensely well developed in the hospital.
The lung transplantation service at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences is a multidisciplinary integrated service which drives it strength from the blessings of Mata Amritanandamayi and the skills and expertise of its core lung transplant team which are fortunate to have trained in internationally reputed lung transplant units in the World. The world class support facilities including an ECMO, blood transfusion, pathology, microbiology, infection control, radiology services, intensivist services allows us to expect the best possible outcomes for our patients.
Address: Ponekkara, P. O, Kochi, Kerala 682041
Contact number: 0484 2851234
3. Manipal Hospital, Bangalore
The hospital is well equipped to handle different forms of organ transplantations. Experienced pulmonologists & thoracic surgeons can help patients in the best possible ways when it comes to undergoing tests, surgery or aftercare. They have highly advanced technological facilities with specialised diagnostic labs, operation theatres, radiation units, robotic technology which makes them one of the largest quaternary care giants in the country with patient comfort.
Contact number: 080 22221111
4. Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai
The hospital envisions quality treatment and affordable healthcare for every patient. With the cutting edge technology at hand, the hospital can be the best place if you are seeking lung transplant facilities.
The services offered to a lung transplant patient are at par with the said benchmarks available globally. Thus, if you are looking for a safe lung transplant procedure, you can rely on the hospital’s reputation for the surgery.
Address: 1877, Dr Anand Rao Nair Road, Near Agripada Police Station, Mumbai Central (E), Mumbai, Maharashtra 400011
Contact number: 022 61784444
5. Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
The first ever lung transplant surgery was performed in this hospital and it has some of the best staffs and surgeons to look after patients who plan to undergo a lung transplant. The wards and surgery segments are well furnished and equipped for the convenience of the patients at best competitive costs.
Address: Ground Floor, Old No.62, New No 56, 4th Main Road, Gandhi Nagar, Adyar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600020
Contact number: 044 33242424
6. Yashoda Hospital, Secunderabad
Yashoda Hospital is one of the best places to undergo lung transplant in India. After the surgery, patients would be kept a few days in the ICU, and if ECMO is not required, they are released for home.
Follow-ups are quite rigorous, and often the 5-year survival rate is outstanding in patients suffering from previous lung disease conditions.
Address: Rajbhavan Road, Somajiguda, Hyderabad, Telangana 500082
Contact number: 040 45674567
7. Medanta Hospital, Gurgaon
Usually, lung transplant, bullectomy and lung volume reduction techniques are frequently performed in this hospital. Hence, the hospital is quite an excellent place to begin treatments for lung disorders.
Various pulmonary diseases at their end-stage might require a lung transplantation process and thus, the hospital is completely equipped for the procedure.
Address: CH Baktawar Singh Road, Sector 38, Gurugram, Haryana 122001
Contact number: 0124 4141414
8. Max Healthcare Hospital, Delhi
The process of transplant assessment is immensely standardized in the hospital. After the evaluations, patients go through a waiting period, and several other tests are often performed to determine the fitness of the patient for the transplant.
Once the transplant is done, the patients are placed on interim check-up visits, and the hospital takes excellent care of every patient who visits it for the procedure. This hospital is also renowned for the 5-year survival window since the watching for signs are quite rigorous for rejection and infection here.
Address: No. 1, 2, Press Enclave Road, Mandir Marg, Saket Institutional Area, Saket, New Delhi, Delhi 110017
Contact number: 011 26515050
So, if someone around you is suffering from any lung disease or requires a lung transplant recommend them these hospitals which are quite well known for the standard facilities and rigorous follow up schemes. Even if it is for you, do not forget to enquire in these hospitals as a suitable hospital can increase your chances of survival after lung surgery.