Gall Bladder Surgery Treatment in India
Gallbladder Surgery Cost in India
- The all-inclusive gallbladder surgery costs in India starts from USD 2000.
- There is a 95 percent success rate of gallbladder surgery
- The top doctors performing gallbladder surgery include Dr Sanjay Verma, Dr Ashish Vashishth , Dr Faisal Mumtaz and others. Top hospitals for the surgery are Fortis Escorts, Max Saket Hospital, and Medanta Hospital.
- Typically, patients will have to stay in the hospital for 1-2 days for the procedure.
About Gallbladder Surgery
Gallbladder surgery involves the removal of the gallbladder in a procedure known as a cholecystectomy. The removal can be done either through open abdominal surgery or laparoscopically. The success rate is high as the method is relatively simple, and there are few risks of complications.
Reasons for Gallbladder Surgery
The gallbladder, located close to the liver on the abdomen's upper right side, is responsible for collecting and storing bile. Although a human body can function without a gallbladder, there might be some complications with digestion.
Here are the primary reasons due to which the patient may be advised to go for gallbladder surgery:
- The most common reason for gallbladder surgery is due to gallstones, which are hard mass of crystals that form inside the gallbladder, causing pain and risking complications.
- Gallstones located in the gallbladder directly, known as cholelithiasis.
- Gallstones located in the bile duct in a condition known as choledocholithiasis.
- Inflammation of the pancreas due to gallstones
- Inflammation of the gallbladder
- Infection of the gallbladder
- Presence of large gallbladder polyps
- Biliary dyskinesia or accumulation of bile
Common symptoms indicating that a gallbladder surgery might be required are:
- Sharp abdominal pain extending to the shoulder or back
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin)
Tests Before Surgery
Before a recommendation of surgery, the doctor will conduct the following tests:
- Blood Test
- Endoscopic ultrasonography
- MRI HIDA Scan
Types of Gallbladder Surgery
The gallbladder is removed predominantly through two types of gallbladder surgery. The first type of surgery is open gallbladder removal or open cholecystectomy. The second type is a minimally invasive gallbladder removal or laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
- Open Gallbladder Surgery
Open gallbladder removal surgery is when a single 6-inch incision is made across the abdomen through which the gallbladder is removed while the patient is under general anesthesia. The procedure takes between 1-2 hours.
2. Minimally Invasive Gallbladder Surgery
In a minimally invasive laparoscopic gallbladder surgery, the surgeon will make four small incisions in the abdomen through which will be inserted cameras and tools, and the gallbladder will be removed. Next, the surgeon will have an x-ray performed to check if any problems remain. Again the procedure takes between 1-2 hours.
3. Open Gallbladder Surgery Vs. Minimally Invasive Gallbladder Surgery
Generally, minimally invasive mode of laparoscopic gallbladder removal is preferred due to the quick recovery period and less risk of complications. However, in some cases, open gallbladder surgery is preferred, for example, if the gallbladder is severely infected, making it challenging to remove it laparoscopically. In patients with previous abdominal surgeries and scar tissue, again open gallbladder surgery is recommended.
Risks of gallbladder surgery are:
- Reaction to the anesthesia
- Increased heart rate
- Blood Clots
- Damage to blood vessels
- Damage to the liver, bile duct or small intestine
Recovery From Gallbladder Surgery
The recovery period depends upon whether the surgeon performs an open gallbladder surgery or laparoscopic gallbladder surgery. After open gallbladder surgery, it may take 4-6 weeks for full recovery, while recovery takes about a week after laparoscopic gallbladder surgery.
Factors affecting the cost of treatment in different states in India
The gallbladder surgery cost In India will vary from city to city, based on various factors:
Gallbladder Surgery Cost In Delhi: With a vast number of doctors and top-notch hospitals, the surgery costs can vary.
Gallbladder Surgery Cost In Mumbai: Expert doctors and world-class infrastructure
Gallbladder Surgery Cost In Kolkata: A smaller city with qualified doctors for a relaxing recovery
Gallbladder Surgery Cost In Chennai: Numerous doctors with decades of experience and capable hospitals
Gallbladder Surgery Cost In Pune: Global quality facilities and trained professionals for quick recovery
I suffered from gallbladder attacks for many months and was in great pain when I found out about Hospals and Medanta Hospital. Hospals scheduled my gallbladder surgery in no time, and finally, I was pain-free! The aftercare provided by the hospital helped for a quick recovery with no complications at all.
- Kelechi Okafor, Nigeria
Due to previous scar tissue, my doctors recommended an open gallbladder removal surgery. I considered many hospitals locally, but with Hospals, I was able to find doctors with experience in open gallbladder surgeries, and my surgery went through smoothly. I will recommend to anyone seeking an advanced surgery.
- Aatish Chauwdhury, bangladesh
We tried the non-surgical treatment for my mother's gallstones for months with minimal results. Finally, I found Hospals and was able to convince my mother to undergo surgery for her gallstones. The gallbladder removal went well and was minimally invasive, and she recovered quickly.
- Adara Ahmed, Yemen
I had gallbladder stones for years, mostly without issue. But three months ago, I began getting sharp pains, and I finally had to do something about it. I found Hospals, and they quickly set me up with Max Hospital. The staff were excellent, they made me feel comfortable, and the surgery went well. I was discharged within days, completely pain-free.
- Kwame Gbeho, Ghana
How It Works
Need help in organizing medical travel to India?
Hospals will get India's best surgeons to give you a detailed treatment plan, and the best possible pricing.