Kidney Transplant Treatment in India
Kidney Transplant Cost In India
- The comprehensive kidney transplant cost in India starts from USD 13000.
- The success rate of a kidney transplant, even though dependent on various factors, ranges from 85% to 90%.
- The most experienced doctors for kidney transplant in India include Dr. Mohan Keshavamurthy, Dr. Anant Kumar, Dr. Pradeep Bansal etc. The best hospitals for the same are Fortis Bangalore, Max Healthcare Saket, Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon etc.
- Even though it may differ from case to case, a kidney transplant requires a stay of 10-15 days in the hospital.
About Kidney Transplant
Kidneys are the essential organ of the human body that helps to filter the waste from the blood and eliminate it in the form of urine. Kidney transplant, also known as renal transplantation, is a surgery done for patients suffering from kidney failure.An interesting fact to note is that even though a human body has two kidneys, it can very well lead a healthy life with a single adequately functioning kidney after transplant..
What happens before a kidney transplant?
Two important things that happen before the patient gets a kidney transplant are:
Assessment of the patient: The patient needs to be healthy enough to undergo major surgery and accept lifelong medications. This assessment includes physical tests at the center and blood and urine tests in the lab.
Donor search: If the patient gets an approval for kidney transplant, the clinics can put the patient's name on the search list for a donor match. If a family member is a match, then he/she can be the donor. Three types of tests are done for that purpose, including a blood test, tissue test, and the crossmatch to check for compatibility with the donor.
Kidney Transplant Procedure
- If the clinic/hospital finds a matching donor, they schedule the transplant surgery.
- The surgeon performs the surgery under general anesthesia.
- The surgeon makes an incision on the lower part of the abdomen on one side and transplants the new kidney inside the body.
- The surgeon then connects the relevant blood vessels and the bladder tube to the kidney.
- The team performing the surgery monitors the blood pressure, heart rate and oxygen level throughout the surgery.
After the surgery
After the procedure gets completed and the kidney starts functioning completely in the patient’s body, the patient should take the following precautions:
- No consumption of alcohol and no smoking
- Complete rest to recover from the surgery
- Leading a healthy lifestyle with conscious eating habits.
- Regular intake of the prescribed medications
- Follow-ups at regular intervals as suggested by the doctor
Risks associated with a kidney transplant
- Rejection of the kidney: Even though the chances of the patient’s body rejecting the kidney of a matched donor are rare, this is the most significant potential risk of getting a kidney transplant. In some cases, the new kidney might also fail to work.
- Other side effects: These include issues like blood clotting, infections, bleeding, leakage or blocking of the uterus tubes, a stroke, or a heart attack during the surgery. Given that a kidney transplant is a major surgery, it carries risks similar to any other major surgery.
Factors affecting the cost of treatment in different states in India
The following factors determine the cost of kidney transplant in India in different cities as stated:
- Kidney transplant cost in Mumbai: Experienced doctors, less or no waiting period
- Kidney transplant cost in Chennai: Hospitals and world-class facilities
- Kidney transplant cost in Kolkata: Developed technological facilities and highly skilled surgeons
- Kidney transplant cost in Hyderabad: Specialised packages for international patients.
- Kidney transplant cost in Kerala: A state-of-the-art infrastructure and majorly experienced set of doctors
Dr. Mohan Keshavamurthy performed the surgery for my kidney transplant and also helped me make lifestyle changes. I am glad I chose Hospals for my medical travel arrangements as they took care of everything.
- Musafer Muhammed Yaseen, Yemen
I would recommend Hospals for anyone who has decided to get a kidney transplant. They will make your travel to India for medical treatment a very comfortable and hassle-free experience.
- Jamila Jawad Kasim, Kuwait
The kidney transplant was a very overwhelming procedure for me. I want to thank Hospals for guiding me through the process and getting me the best of the treatment in Bangalore.
- Matthew Jones Victor, Bangladesh
I have visited India twice in the last five years for the kidney transplant of my mom and dad separately, and both the times, Hospals gave us an excellent experience. They also help us in regular follow up with doctors in India when we need it.
- Mohammed Hussain Ramdhan Wali, Iraq
Hospals is the best when it comes to the combination of seamless service and cost-efficient transplant. We went to India last year and got my mother’s surgery done in Max healthcare in Delhi.
- Sanya Farsi Butool, UAE
How It Works
Need help in organizing medical travel to India?
Hospals will get India's best surgeons to give you a detailed treatment plan, and the best possible pricing.