Scoliosis Treatment in India
Scoliosis Surgery in India
- The estimated total cost of scoliosis surgery in India is around USD 9,000, depending upon various factors.
- There is 85-90% of the scoliosis surgery success rate in India, which makes India one of the most preferred countries for scoliosis surgery across the world.
- Some of the experienced doctors in the field are Dr. Sanjeev Dua, Dr.Arun Saroha, and Dr. Hitesh Garg. The best hospitals are Max Patparganj, Max Saket and Artemis Hospital.
- It is a six days procedure in the hospital, and patients need to stay for almost 21 days in India.
Sideways curvature of the spine or backbone is called scoliosis. Scoliosis patients develop an abnormal S-shaped or C-shaped curve of the spine. It is a spinal curve of 10 degrees or, in some severe cases, higher. The unusual curve can happen in different places and on either side of the spine. People with scoliosis may have a hip that looks uneven or a lean shoulder. This medical condition mostly occurs in children of age between 10-14 and affects females more than males. Scoliosis generally has no known cause, but the condition is very much progressive with the advancement in the medical field in India.
Symptoms of Scoliosis
The following are the symptoms that indicate the possibility of having scoliosis.
- Shoulder hang
- Hip higher or more pronounced
- Uneven waistline
- Prominent ribs on one side
- Rotation of spine
- Breathing difficulty
- Back pain
- Forward head posture
Causes of Scoliosis
Though the exact cause is still not known and cannot be determined, some of the possibilities are as follows:-
- Defect in spine since birth
- Cerebral palsy; is a nervous system disorder that affects movement, learning, hearing, vision, and thinking.
- Spine injury or infection
- Muscular dystrophy It is a disorder that causes muscle weakness
- Spine injuries and infection
- The first step of the diagnosis of scoliosis is the physical examination and medical history. Physical examination helps in determining the cause and severity of the condition.
- Neurological examination to further know about muscle weakness or numbness.
- X-ray of the spine.
- CT scan and MRI for underlying causes.
When a teenager's scoliosis curve measures over 40 degrees, in that case, surgery is mostly recommended. The main goal of the surgery is to make the two vertebrae fuse so that any motion between them is restricted. scoliosis surgery straightens the curved bones of the spine. Surgery involves medical implants like hooks, screws, rods, or wires by putting bone grafts over the spine. The doctor takes the grafts from the pelvic bone of the patient. These grafts grow and fuse and correct the curvature of the spine.
- Doctors perform spinal fusion for scoliosis in several ways. However, most techniques involve the use of screws and hooks to correct the curvature through surgery.
- After this, doctors do the reposition of the affected segments of the spine with the help of rods to reduce the lateral twist.
- The next step is to introduce bone grafts into the segments where fusion is required. These bone grafts may belong to the patient (autograft) or taken from a donor (allograft).
- The rods hold up the spine till complete fusion has taken place, and the new bones can take the load of the spine.
- Usually, it takes several months for the recovery, but the patient has to stay in the hospital for only five to eight days post-surgery.
- The doctor inserts epidural catheters to control and reduce pain. Doctors take this off on the third day. Before this, the patient cannot move.
- The patient is kept under the supervision of a physiotherapist to help him in getting back the basic movement and mobility.
- X-rays before discharge is a must to check the progress and condition of the spinal cord.
Post Operative Care at Home
- The recovery from scoliosis takes several months. The right amount of time post-surgery is required to resume normal activities and movement. Regular checkup is essential to keep track of the recovery.
- For the first six months, only simple activities are allowed.
- The patient can begin to swim within the next few months.
- Exercise, running, jumping, and sports is allowed after almost a year of the surgery.
- Track the progress regularly.
Factors affecting the cost of scoliosis surgery in India
Scoliosis Surgery Cost in Chennai: Chennai provides high-quality treatment at a low cost. scoliosis surgery cost in Chennai, varies a bit depending upon the hospital you opt for the surgery. Chennai provides excellent follow-up care. It has some of the best research institutes and hospitals for scoliosis surgery and other surgeries as well. Health is given priority which is quite evident in facilities and success rate of scoliosis surgery in Chennai.
Scoliosis Surgery Cost in Kerala: Kerala, lately, has become a hotspot of medical tourism for international patients looking for the best medical treatment in India. Kerala is famous for providing some very experienced and renowned doctors, trained staff, technicians, and also international connectivity. With the increase in medical labs and hospitals, Kerala has been successful in bringing a significant decline in medical treatment cost, which is quite less when compared with Delhi or Mumbai with no compromises in facilities and treatment provided.
Scoliosis Surgery Cost in Delhi: A number of hospitals recognized worldwide and the reputation of doctors, surgeons, and staff in Delhi creates a benchmark for medical facilities in India. Both government run and private hospitals are equally competent in Delhi. Delhi aims at implementing up-to-date technology in the services and have been very successful in doing so.
I am grateful for the transformation of my spine. My posture has improved, and people also noticed a change in my appearance. I was worried about how my scoliosis would be treated, but Hospals came to my rescue. In a country like India, where i didn't know anything about hospitals, doctors, or other treatment facilities, Hospals was the one i could trust with successful scoliosis surgery in India.
- Abdullah, UAE
I had scoliosis since I was 16, and my journey in and out of the hospitals was turning out to be a never-ending process with no positive results. With the hope of success, I came to India for the scoliosis surgery, and to my surprise, no country better than India and no platform better than Hospals could have helped me in the treatment, which felt like an impossible thing to me. All thanks to Hospals.
- Olarinde Pepple, Nigeria
While looking for the best scoliosis surgery options in India for my son, I came across the website of Hospals. It was loaded with everything I wanted my medical guide to be like. Everything was arranged very smoothly without hassles, and my son is in good condition. The professionalism of hospals team was very satisfying.
- Mark Arakelian, Armenia
I tried several methods to correct my scoliosis but eventually decided to go for surgery in India. Hospals was my guiding source in India. Polite staff, excellent service, and very professional.
- Girish Thapa, Nepal
How It Works
Need help in organizing medical travel to India?
Hospals will get India's best surgeons to give you a detailed treatment plan, and the best possible pricing.